Tab Renewals (Registration)
What do I need to renew my tabs?
- We will need your vehicle plate number or VIN number to access your vehicle account. It would be helpful if you have your Vehicle Renewal Notice on hand.
- If you are not the registered owner, but share the same last name or address on your driver’s license, then you can pick up the registered owner’s tabs. If not, then you will need a signed note of authorization from the registered owner along with their driver’s license number.
- Photo ID
Check your renewal card carefully: do you need emissions test?
- If your vehicle is between 5 years through 25 years old you will need an emissions test every two years for tab renewal.
- When doing a title transfer, the vehicle must have a current emissions test that has been taken within the last calendar year.
Purchased a new or used Vehicle?
- All vehicles that will be used on public roads within the State of Washington must be licensed. If you purchase your car, truck, camper, motor home or other vehicle from a Washington dealer, the dealer will transfer the title for you.
- If you purchase your vehicle from a private party, you will need to transfer the title yourself.
What will I need?
- The title properly released
- Documentation of the purchase price
- Federal odometer statement on vehicles less than 10 years old
- A current emission test that is no more than 1 year old may be required
- Certain specialty cases may require additional documents
- Photo ID
- Cash, check or money order
- We accept most credit cards and VISA Debit cards (VISA credit cards are not accepted at this time). Our office also has an ATM on-site.
PLEASE NOTE: Washington-titled vehicles must be registered within fifteen (15) days after purchase date to avoid penalty fees. A $25 penalty is charged on the 16th day with an additional $2.00 charge each day thereafter until a maximum amount of $125 penalty is reached.