Tab Renewals (Registration)
What do I need to renew my tabs?
- We will need your vehicle plate number or VIN number to access your vehicle account. It would be helpful if you have your Vehicle Renewal Notice on hand.
- If you are not the registered owner, then you will need the renewal card, (which implies authorization) or a note of authorization from the registered owner.
- Photo ID
Check your renewal card carefully: do you need emissions test?
- If your vehicle is between 5 years through 25 years old you will need an emissions test every two years for tab renewal.
- When doing a title transfer, the vehicle must have a current emissions test that has been taken within the last calendar year.
Purchased a new or used Vehicle?
- All vehicles that will be used on public roads within the State of Washington must be licensed. If you purchase your car, truck, camper, motor home or other vehicle from a Washington dealer, the dealer will transfer the title for you.
- If you purchase your vehicle from a private party, you will need to transfer the title yourself.
What will I need?
- The title properly released
- Documentation of the purchase price
- Federal odometer statement on vehicles less than 10 years old
- A current emission test that is no more than 1 year old may be required
- Certain specialty cases may require additional documents
- Photo ID
- Cash, check or money order
- We accept most credit cards and VISA Debit cards (VISA credit cards are not accepted at this time). Our office also has an ATM on-site.
PLEASE NOTE: Washington-titled vehicles must be registered within fifteen (15) days after purchase date to avoid penalty fees. A $25 penalty is charged on the 16th day with an additional $2.00 charge each day thereafter until a maximum amount of $125 penalty is reached.