Vehicle Licensing

Tab Renewals (Registration)

What do I need to renew my tabs?

  • We will need your vehicle plate number or VIN number to access your vehicle account. It would be helpful if you have your Vehicle Renewal Notice on hand.
  • If you are not the registered owner, then you will need the renewal card, (which implies authorization) or a note of authorization from the registered owner.
  • Photo ID

Check your renewal card carefully: do you need emissions test?

  • If your vehicle is between 5 years through 25 years old you will need an emissions test every two years for tab renewal.
  • When doing a title transfer, the vehicle must have a current emissions test that has been taken within the last calendar year.

Purchased a new or used Vehicle?

  • All vehicles that will be used on public roads within the State of Washington must be licensed. If you purchase your car, truck, camper, motor home or other vehicle from a Washington dealer, the dealer will transfer the title for you.
  • If you purchase your vehicle from a private party, you will need to transfer the title yourself.

What will I need?

  • The title properly released
  • Documentation of the purchase price
  • Federal odometer statement on vehicles less than 10 years old
  • A current emission test that is no more than 1 year old may be required
  • Certain specialty cases may require additional documents
  • Photo ID
  • Cash, check or money order
  • We accept most credit cards and VISA Debit cards (VISA credit cards are not accepted at this time). Our office also has an ATM on-site.

PLEASE NOTE: Washington-titled vehicles must be registered within fifteen (15) days after purchase date to avoid penalty fees. A $25 penalty is charged on the 16th day with an additional $2.00 charge each day thereafter until a maximum amount of $125 penalty is reached.